RSS

Have you seen this girl? She's been missing for three months.

I had my twin girls 3 months ago.

In that short time, I’m become a maestro at water-boarding (aka: Little Noses), the ancient art of cotton torture (aka: cotton swabs), simultaneous feedings (aka: Houdini’s last trick), and changing diapers (aka: extreme acts of courage and valor).

And while my little girls mean the entire world to me, I am a little vexed that they apparently have become my entire world to others. Meaning: i feel like i have stopped being a productive employee and fun friend and have become that chick with no husband and two kids.

It seems like simply by the act of having children I have become old, not cool, uninterested in things outside children, and basically and island all to myself. I don’t remember losing that part of myself, but i wonder if anyone around me really sees the fun and interesting part of my personality anymore. And it doesn’t help that my employer is always ready to refer to me as “mama,” “little mama,” eager to remind me “you ARE a single mother of twins,” and to point out in meetings that I “sound just like a mother.”

it is almost enough to make me vomit.

Life really is all about evolving relationships and growing as a person. But how can i find a happy balance between celebrating this new chapter in my life and feeling eclipsed by it?

0 comments:

Post a Comment