RSS

Worst fears spoken aloud

I read a blog today that scared me out of my wits. And it didn’t help that it followed on the heels of a dream i had last night where i lost Dixie. One minute she was there, then i turned my back for a moment and she was gone, stroller and all. And to make matter worse, no one around me seemed to know what i was talking about when i asked them if they’d seen anyone taking my stroller.

The cold statitics of just how many children of color go missing without so much as a blurb in local papers really taps into that fear I have of not being able to keep my kids safe from the world. And i guess parents only have so much control over the dangers in the world, but it scares me very badly and very deeply when i imagine that there are may be things i simply cannot keep them safe from. And that if something horrible were to happen, I wouldn’t be able to count on the community to ring the alarm to help me find them.

Now not to worry: I’m not going to go off the deep end like the mom in the movie Loverboy. But I can’t help but wonder…if the only things keeping my girls safe is my flesh and bones and the grace of God, what do i do if that proves not good enough?

0 comments:

Post a Comment