RSS

Mom-on-mom hitjobs

You know your stuff is completely out of pocket when you get checked by a 6 year old.

Last week i was shopping with the twins. I find that the compartment under their stroller is very useful as a shopping cart. Granted, it causes the stores i shop in to have an employee or two *discreetly* follow me around, but i usually turn that into a fun, fun game of hide and seek.
I was pushing the girls’ stroller down the large, main aisle when we were almost broadsided by a woman pushing a shopping cart out of one of the smaller aisles along the side. I came to a stop and so did she and no one was hurt.

I continued along my way, looking at her and her 6 year old as i passed, giving them a friendly smile….which was met with a glare and an ugly face by the mom!

And just as I was moving past and asking myself if i was seeing things, i heard this conversation:

little girl: “mommy, are you not that lady’s friend?”
devil mom: “i don’t know her.”
little girl: “oh. i was just wondering why you looked at her like that.”

yeah, Devil Mom: why were you looking at me like that??

One of the challenges i face in raising daughters is overcoming my own negative attitudes toward other women. I can’t produce strong, healthy women if I automatically view other women, through a prism of impatience, as suspect and petty. And it annoys me that other mothers aren’t willing to make that same change in themselves for the sake of their daughters.

….which brings me back around to feeling impatient and irritated with other women!

back to the drawing board.

0 comments:

Post a Comment